Wednesday, April 16, 2014

sprung


There is a lusty eagerness to spring growth, an excited burst of growth that makes my heart glad to see. In a more negative mood I would say it is desperation that drives the plants, to take advantage of the more moderate spring temperatures and the remnants of winter's moisture before the heat and drought  of summer halt growth again.


But I get a particular pleasure in seeing the growth spurt of Mediterranean plants like this young rosemary.  As the plants mature, the growth rate slows, so I will prune them down periodically, to get this look. This plant won't need a pruning for a couple more years at least.

Another Mediterranean, the thyme growing back from a harsh cutting back.  I guess it likes my garden. I have seedlings sprouting up all around it. 



My guess is that this is a Snowdrop anemone, which I was surprised to see growing here when we moved in. Not what you think of as growing in the desert.


The lilacs around town are doing particularly well this year, mine a little less so, but much better than last year. I have always found the harsh contrast between a tree or shrub in bloom in isolation amid a harsh desert terrain to be inspiring. Maybe I need to work on that.


The little-leaf culinary sage is a little later than the full-sized variety. I thought it might be a sad excuse for a sage, but not that it is getting bigger, it is growing on me. Still looks like a mutant to me, but the spring push is very nice.


My cutting of 'Iceberg' rose was planted in the ground last weekend.



My little twiglet of a seedling of Cotinus coggygria is bursting forth as well.


I planted this tuft of a seedling lavender 'Hidcote' late last summer, and it made it through the winter about 2" across. It's putting forth a nice push.


The 'Walker's Low' catmint is fronting the spuria iris which has been steadily increasing in size.  No signs of buds on the iris. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.


'Kent Beauty' has sprung out of the ground, after retreating underground for the winter. What a glorious eruption of chartreuse in the spring.



No comments:

Post a Comment