Sunday, November 24, 2013

first snow

Woke up to snow falling and a layer of snow on the ground. Of course, this being New Mexico, a lot of it melted by the time I got going to take photos.



This seedling smokebush (Cotinus coggygria) was about 1-1/2 inches tall when moved it to a more favorable position this past spring, and grew about 8 inches. I think its parent is 'Royal Purple' which is the one that is pretty standard around here. This seedling so far has performed much better than its parent, the summer leaves holding a more vibrant tone, and the fall color not only this glowing color, but so far lasting for at least a month. Maybe they have dried that color.


Here is the parent plant, which leafs out a very dark purple, that fades slightly in the summer. There are a couple of fall leaves left on the plant, which are a pretty pink-to-green, but not very dramatic, and not holding nearly as well as its seedling, which still has most of its leaves.


My 'Petite Noir' fig, produced 3 ripe figs in the summer, then a bunch of figs followed...that never ripened. I may have to replace this with something else. 'Brown Turkey'? I'm thinking about Clematis 'Rooguchi.'


 There are lots of buds on the 'Polly' peach. I can't wait to see what happens in the spring.


My apple trees still have not lost their leaves. Isn't that odd. I mean, here it is at the end of November. The leaves aren't even yellow.


The kale is weighed to the ground by the snow. I hope they are okay.


The 'Iceberg' roses produced buds and flowers  all the way to the bitter end. 


One little viola kept it's head above the snow. My inspiration to keep my head up, despite this dratted cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment