Monday, November 1, 2021

Crocus cartwrightianus?

 

 
 
 I was wondering what happened to all the Crocus cartwrightianus that I planted by my path. They were planted a few years ago and were indistiguishable from the Crocus speciosus. There were lots of leaves this spring. But only a few flowers came up a week ago.
 

All week, I've been carefully watching the spots where the crocuses should have been. There was nothing on Saturday. Yesterday, dozens of blooms lined the path, looking quite different from the C. speciosus that has bloomed. 

These have much smaller flowers, and are striped. I'm still not sure they are truly C. cartwrightianus. They might have been C. speciosus that was sold to me under the wrong name. And perhaps in this location, or the weather this year, the C. speciosus is looking different. That's my suspicion anyway. C. cartwrightianus should looke more like a saffron crocus, and this does not. Either way, they are very beautiful, and just what I wanted.


No comments:

Post a Comment