Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Echinocereus reichenbachii

I don't always keep good records. Sometimes I plant things and forget what they are, or even when I planted them. I know I bought a couple of Echinocereus reichenbachii last year from Agua Fria Nursery, and one of them is the pure species and one is a cultivar with particularly regular white spines, but for the life of me, I can't remember the name, other than it was rather cute.

Here's the species:

These are already starting to cluster, and in a couple of years, I expect the show is going to be spectacular.


And here's the named variety:
 It does have slightly nicer spines, but much less attractive flowers. They only last a couple of days, anyway.
I bought them because I missed the one I had at my old house (Echinocereus reichenbachii var. caespitosus). Then I worried endlessly that the pink color would ruin my color scheme of purple and white. But these bloom at the same time as the pink roses, whose color they match pretty well. Whew. Disaster averted.

No comments:

Post a Comment