Tuesday, May 23, 2017

coming together

It's been slow getting the garden together. After all, I do all the work myself, and I work full time. Then there is the planning, and all the changing of my mind. "I want this...oh wait, but what about that?" Then there is also the slow growth of plants here, and the tough climate that I always complain about. This spring was horrible for the roses, and only a couple are looking good. But overall, the garden is coming together. Looking at my Pinterest page, I realize that what I'm going for is "English Garden in New Mexico." Kind of a contradiction in terms isn't it? But I think it is coming together.

Most of the time, I just see the incremental changes in the garden, and notice all the things that need to be done. But this afternoon in the garden, I looked up and saw it with new eyes. I thought "Hmm, that's about what I wanted to do with the garden!"

Afternoon:
So...English Garden in New Mexico. Almost everything except the roses is a low water-use plant. Sure, there are some areas that need to grow in more, and some areas need to be reworked because of a combination that didn't work, or plants that didn't do well. And I really wanted white roses rather than pink, but I've discovered after a number of trials, that there really aren't many fragrant white roses that tolerate the heat and winds here without looking bad. But overall, that's the look I was going for, and a garden is never really done, is it?

Morning:


I was inspired by a number of images. Here are some of the inspiration images from the web. There were, of course, a gazillion (well, maybe less) other photos with similar themes on my Pinterest page.

I'm not sure who designed this:

This is a design by Fernando Martos Perez de Ayala. I love, love, love his work.  

This is the Lurie Garden in Chicago, designed by Piet Oudolf.


The 'Iceberg' roses in the front courtyard are also growing in as I hoped they would, although the lavender and the catmint are not getting as big as I expected. Maybe not enough sun for the catmint, since it does just fine in the back. In this sheltered courtyard, the white roses are protected from much of the wind, but even then, their season of beauty is relatively brief.


Here's the inspiration, from Velvet&Linen blog.


I'm pretty happy with how things are turning out.

1 comment: