Friday, July 10, 2015

blue yonder

When I saw the new Agapanthus 'Blue Yonder' in a catalog and read that it was hardy to zone 6, I had to have one. Or...five. I bought them last year, potted them, and kept them in the garage over the winter. Being deciduous, that wasn't a problem, other than the worries that they were dead. But overwintering them in the garage every year was not the point of purchasing them, so I planted them in the garden this year. Surprisingly, 4 of the 5 put out a bloom.

 Having just returned from a trip from California, where my mother's Agapanthus has flower heads at least 5 or 6 inches in diameter, it was a bit disappointing that mine opened a whopping 2-1/2 inches in diameter.

 On rather spindly plants as well.

 The flower color is nice.


But the form and size leave something to be desired. Of course, being very far from an ideal climate for Agapanthus, it will be amazing if they even survive the winter, much less bloom. So I'd better just stop complaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment