Sunday, December 5, 2021

Lc. Rojo ‘Barbara’

 

Laeliocattleya Rojo 'Barbara'  is an intergeneric hybrid between Cattleya aurantiaca (from Mexico) and Laelia milleri (from Brazil). 'Barbara is a clone that I think was selected by Carter and Holmes orchids (not sure about that, but that's where this one came from). I don't find it to be as vigorous as the ones I remember from my childhood. The flowers are more orange-red than the sealing wax red I remember from Acres of Orchids. And the specimen plants they had on display had umbels of maybe 50 flowers on plants two feet tall. I've had mine for a number of years, and it shows no sign of wanting to get bigger than about 8 inches tall. It's nice, but I'm tempted to try other clones of this cross...if I can find any.

No comments:

Post a Comment