Monday, June 22, 2015

quick pics before the day's heat

I had a vacation day today, and I got out before the sun was up to take a few photos. I didn't want to spend too much time photographing when there was work to do before the 100+ degree heat sets in. I gave 'Abraham Darby' the shovel today, when I saw how miserable he looked, with 'Eden' right next to him putting out new buds. I couldn't take it anymore. Not even photos to document his departure. It's a bit sad. Then on to getting a drip system up on the 'Bishop's Castle' rose, mulching the vegetables, blah, blah, blah.

First the bad. My lilies aren't doing very well, despite the very rainy spring we had. Lilium leucanthum is the first to bloom, but fewer flowers than the years past. The 'Casa Blanca' lilies have yellow leaves. This is just not lily country. Time to get over it.

On the other hand, 'Silk Road', transplanted from the wind alley to the courtyard seems to be doing adequately well. Soon to open. Last year, the first flower opened June 27, only to have the flowers and buds shredded by the wind on July 1. Thus the move to the courtyard. 'Scheherezade', also an orienpet hybrid, is also growing well. More on that later, during bloom time. 'Black Beauty' planted in the shade of a Mugho pine is struggling. Maybe a move is in store for that one.

'Silk Road'
 The sedum bowls are looking good.

Salvia pachyphylla 'Mulberry Flambe' is starting its show. 
It's not as impressive of a show (yet?) compared to last year.

 The Perovskia is starting its blue filmy goodness. It's a weed here, spreading like crazy from underground rhizomes, as well as seeds. But easy beauty is hard to come by here. So it's in nearly every yard. I noticed, however, that my neighbor just RoundUp'd all of his in his front yard. 


 I'm surprised that 'Madame Isaac Pereire' opened a few blooms yesterday in 103F heat.

Blooms are a bit heat damaged on the edges, but not bad, not bad at all. Oops...sun's coming out. Got to get work done before it becomes a fiery inferno out there.

The lesson: plant what is adapted to this climate. Why can't I get that in my head?

1 comment:

  1. Ha! You get it more than those who think nothing of aspens in Abq, or even ignore the climate there. Salvia pachyphylla, even oasis roses not that crazy...at least some roses.

    ReplyDelete