Wednesday, November 5, 2014

crocus speciosus


 I love Crocus speciosus. The first time I saw it was in a garden in Santa Fe, and the flowers were just glowing in the late afternoon sunlight. They were like magic, an unexpected color for fall, with delicacy and luminosity.
 

I find that luminosity and charm very hard to capture in a photograph, what is so apparent in real life.


When I took out the grass in the courtyard, I debated about whether or not to plant the cracks between the flagstone, and decided not to. You see how well that plan worked out. I saw the Crocus speciosus for sale, and I knew immediately where they had to go.



Here they are, catching the light coming through the gate.  
 
 
Popping up like magic.


Delicacy and boldness in one. 


 I find them beautiful up close as well as from a distance.


I planted 60 of them. I hope they are happy and multiply.



1 comment:

  1. This is a great use of that crocus, almost as good as rain lilies there! Not sure how I missed this and a few other posts you had in Nov, though it was one of those months...

    ReplyDelete