Tuesday, March 17, 2020

happiness is a freshly made bed




 The bed of Salvia 'May Night' was looking scraggly last year. Since it was one of the first plantings I made in the garden, I knew that the soil wasn't particularly well amended. This was also a low area on the yard. When I first took out the lawn and made these planting areas, I thought it would be nice to have the gentle swales in the garden. I was wrong. The swales went against the flow of the garden, and made for problematic irrigation and maintenance. To try to amend the problem, I dug out all the Salvias, amended the soil with about 5 cubic feet of organics and compost, 3 buckets of "topsoil' from another part of the yard, and dug it all in, deeply. Ah, a nice beautiful bed. Only then did I realize that the problem with the Salvias was probably not the soil. I had never installed drip emitters among the planting! They did surprisingly in retrospect, considering the lack of irrigation. Now to replant and get them some irrigation.

No comments:

Post a Comment