Sunday, November 10, 2019

optimism


Gardeners must be optimists. We have to be. It takes a degree of optimism to plant something, and expect something to come out of it. When we plant the tiny seed, or bury bulbs in the ground, or plant a baby tree, we trust that what we plant will grow, and we hope that what we plant will grow into what we imagine in our mind's eye. Innumerable things can go wrong. The seed doesn't germinate. The bulbs get eaten by mice. The tree grows into something that has a very different character than what we expect, and we only discover this years later. I must confess that I've always considered myself a pessimist, or a realist, rather than an optimist. But planting bulbs today, I realize that I am much more of an optimist than I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment