Sunday, April 28, 2019

mat forming phlox

There are a number of mat-forming phloxes, which are very different from the tall garden phlox that most people are familiar with. Of the small phloxes, the most familiar is "moss phlox" Phlox subulata, and for those living on the East coast, the native Phlox stolonifera and Phlox divaricata. Of these, the moss phlox does well in New Mexico and there are many named and attractive cultivars.  They tend to cover themselves in flowers for a few weeks in the spring, and when not in bloom are still attractive.

These from my garden: 


These are blooming in my friend's yard. 
 

There are apparently quite a number of rock garden phloxes, as Robert Nold describes in his book High and Dry. The difficult part is finding them. I've only found a couple. I had Phlox kelsyi 'Lemhi Purple' for a few years, but the three plants died after a few years of struggling. I think they need cooler temperatures and more water than I could give them.  I've since obtained a Phlox kelsyi 'Lemhi Midnight' which is such a charming plant, but is not very happy in my yard, which seems to be too hot and dry for it. It has survived for 2 years though.


Also not happy in my yard is Phlox bifida, which is native to dry sandy areas of Kentucky and Tennesee. I thought that it would be adaptable to dry sandy Albuquerque, but apparently not. I bought this plant as a "blue" form, but although the flowers were lavender last year, they are more pink-purple this year. Still attractive, this is the one that survived.







 I still keep my eyes out for any of the miniature phloxes. They are just too cute to pass up.

No comments:

Post a Comment