Saturday, February 3, 2018

Hippeastrum 'Painted Desert'

In the winter for 2013-2014 I made a cross of Hippeastrum 'Red Lion' and H. papilio. Only one of the seeds grew, but I kept it going. By the winter of 2015-2016, it bloomed for the first time, and I blogged about it here. I learned on the Hippeastrum forum on Gardenweb, that this was a particularly unusual cross due to genetic difficulties, and that this one grew particularly quickly. I'd be making many more crosses for fun if I had the room, but alas, I just don't have the time or the space. My sister dubbed this cross 'Painted Desert'.

This year I may have fertilized it too much, as the plant has become huge.
That's the thing about these plants. They need fertilizer but in small regular amounts. I suppose it's the same with all plants.

Four stems this year, three are in bloom now.

It doesn't have that great form or color, but it is exciting that it is one of my creations, and vigorous.



I think I like the backs of the petals almost more than the front view.


I don't think I'm going to keep most of my Hippeastrum. Most people just grow them for Christmas and then discard them. I have been growing them from year to year, but it's become too much work to haul the pots, which are getting bigger, in and out of the house, and also the spots in the garden where they are placed for the summer are getting planted up. I expect I'll keep 'Painted Desert' and also 'La Paz' but that's probably going to be it. 'Ruby Star' lacks vigor, the plants of H. papilio keep growing, but the flowers themselves get smaller and less numerous. 'Red Lion' seems to be diminishing. I'm still deciding on 'Minerva'. I'm going get Clivia instead, which I can grow indoors year round, it being a shade plant. Not that I need more plants. 

No comments:

Post a Comment