Sunday, November 5, 2017

Fall color

'Monch' is still going. The other asters (even the late blooming 'Raydon's Favorite') have been done for weeks. We haven't had a hard frost yet, and when it comes I'm sure it will do in even 'Monch', but this aster is just amazing. No it doesn't have that "covered with blooms" effect that many asters have, but it has been blooming continuously since July. 5 months. Really? Really!


 Forming a nice counterpoint in color is Crocus cartwrightianus. Such a lovely color. It is very similar to Crocus speciosus in color, but the petals are a bit pointier, and the blooms are less goblet shaped. It also blooms a bit later.


Crocus speciosus is just finishing up. They are in such a different growing situation, that I really shouldn't be comparing them at all. 

The lavenders are blooming again, adding more purple, just about as much as in the spring. I'm not sure if these are 'Vicenza Blue' or 'Ellagance Purple' but they all look very similar. Similar size and color as 'Hidcote' but much more floriferous.

Behind the lavenders, Prunus bessyi 'Pawnee Buttes' is coloring up for fall. The ones in the shade colored up earlier.


They form a nice contrast growing under the mystery maple, which in this unusually warm fall, wasn't certain whether to color up or not. So the north side turned yellow before the south side.

I'm always surprised that I don't see more people growing Origanum dictamnus (Dittany of Crete).  It is so easy and has such impressive bracts and color. Maybe I'm just weird. When my friend was impressed with 'Kent Beauty', I showed her my dittany and she just shrugged her shoulders. Personally, I think O. dictamnus is much more interesting than 'Kent Beauty' and has the benefit of fuzzy grey evergreen leaves in contrast to 'Kent Beauty' which goes dormant in September. Dittany also has these long chains of bracts, which I find to be impressive and eye catching.

The roses have a few flowers hanging on. The warm weather has prompted a flush of growth, which I'm sure will be damaged in the frost that's bound to come.
'Abraham Darby' has a couple of flowers. 

My  'Bolero' bushes have a half dozen blossoms open. They are lasting longer in this cool weather, and are significantly bigger also.

The flowers of 'Fabulous' are like 'Iceberg' in that they blush pink in the cooler weather. 

'Marie Pavie' still has a great fragrance. It was tough to photograph all these flowers in today's wind.
 
'Iceberg' with a pink flush.

I'm less impressed with Schizachyrium scoparium 'Smoke Signals' than I was hoping. It doesn't turn that dark smoky purple that the photos show.


This seedling of Cotinus coggyria (Purple Smoke Bush), is better colored than its parent across the yard.

 No one ever shows photos of Platycodon grandiflora (Balloon flower) in the fall, but the fall color is easily as impressive as the floral show. Here it is fading, but it's looked like this for at least a week already. It always catches me by surprise since it is in an out-of-the-way part of the garden, and I don't catch the fall show until it is well underway. 

The Japanese maple 'Osakazuki' is supposed to turn glorious color in the fall, but mine didn't last year (granted, it was its first year), and this year, here it is November and it is only showing a little blush so far.


My other Japanese maple, which came with the house, is in color. I wish I knew how to keep the tips from burning. Other Japanese maples in the neighborhood in full sun seem to be fine.

The Plumbago ceratostigma turns bright colors in the fall. It's famous for it. I find that I take it for granted much more than I should. 



1 comment:

  1. Enjoy your "unusually warm" fall; I certainly am. We're lucky to both live in different parts of a place with maximum enjoyment hours outside! Roses and lavenders still; then again, I had a neighbor with lavender in full bloom on 1/1/00. Your roses...just perfect.

    ReplyDelete