Saturday, September 27, 2014

half moon bay nurseries


This last week was a trip back to California to see the family. One of the things that I had to do was to go to Yerba Buena Nursery, a native plant nursery near my sister's house, to suggest some things for her barren slope. I was terribly excited when we finally got there, and my sister who was telling me about something, finally said, "I don't think you are paying attention to anything I'm saying, your eyes are full of plants." I said "yep" but that didn't stop her. It was nice to hang out with her.


I was surprised to discover that she doesn't like Ceanothus. I mean, who doesn't like Ceanothus?  She doesn't, that's who. Lots of other delightful goodies.


I was surprised to see that Yerba Buena was only one of several specialty plant nurseries in a row.


Unfortunately the succulent nursery was closed.
 

As was the carnivorous plant nursery. But as luck would have it, the owner was stopping by and opened up for us. I bought a Sarracenia 'Dana's Delight' to try.


I was surprised to see a few military guys, all in camouflage, come in. One guy mentioned that he had come another day, and they were closed. He was looking for a plant/pet, and bought a Venus fly-trap (Dionaea muscipula). They had some nice ones there with particularly red coloration.


 I hope my 'Dana's Delight' looks this good when it grows up.


Nice display of phalaenopsis at the orchid grower.


Then on to Half Moon Bay Nursery, a truck delivering some plants. What an enormous nursery with row after row of enticing offerings.


I bought some seeds, some Crocus speciosus, and a Penstemon heterophyllus 'Blue Springs'. I wonder if 'Blue Springs' looks anything like 'Margarita BOP.' Very sad to leave, but we were out of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment