Saturday, March 15, 2014

old hellebore, new hellebore


As if trying to prove my last post wrong, the hellebore is picking up steam.


I was just thinking that I should get some spotted white single-flowered hellebores, when there they were at the nursery. I think they are getting more popular here in Albuquerque, because two of the three nurseries that I went to had hellebores. Jericho had a bunch of 'Ivory Prince' which has never looked very "ivory" to me. They always look muddy green at the nursery, which is not the look I am going for. Maybe they are being sold past peak. Too bad for me if that's the case, because they are immensely floriferous, at least they are in the as-sold condition, and I am missing out if they are really a brighter color. Osuna Nursery had three varieties of hellebores (not much compared to the nursery I went to in California a few weeks ago). Two were of the "Spring Promise" variety and they also had 'Ivory Prince' (also looking muddy green). They only had a few 'Conny' but she was just what I had been looking for. I stepped away to look at the other color, a rich brick red which perfectly matches my flagstone (not a good thing if the flowers disappear visually into background) and when I did, of course other shoppers swooped in, saying "Let's get these!"  I breathed a sigh of relief as they moved on. I probably shouldn't have worried, since if someone is asking "What are these?" they probably wouldn't be spending $25 on a 1-gallon perennial.  I bought two. Which then makes me wonder about my sanity.

sitting on my kitchen countertop

No comments:

Post a Comment