Sunday, September 22, 2013

beans, beans are good for your heart


The first flowers opened on the bush Roma beans today. I feel like parents who are remember what their child looked like as a toddler, and saying it seems like it was only a few weeks ago. But with annuals such as beans, it really was a few weeks ago. In comparison, I have some orchids I bought two years ago, that have just put out a second leaf. No flowers yet.

Here they are today:

Here on 9/1/2013, 3 weeks ago at one week old:

I knew it was a gamble to plant beans the last week of August. The first frost date is at the end of October, and these are supposed to be harvested in 58 days. That's cutting it really close. But if I could get a few tasty Roma beans before the frost it would be worth it, since they can't be bought at the stores here, and I didn't get the old dying shrub out until then. I figured that if I didn't get a harvest, at least I had a cover crop. But seeing growth like this in the garden really is good for my heart, which has been in sore need of coddling lately, so it is worth it.



The kale is coming along as well, but much slower. I hope they are big enough before the cold weather sets in. It's hard to believe that the cold is coming when it is still 80 degrees during the day.


In contrast, I don't know if 3 weeks will be enough to ripen the 'Petite Nigra' fig.

No comments:

Post a Comment