Thursday, December 23, 2021

Helleborus x ballardiae ‘Snow Dance’

 

Three and a half years ago I planted three of these Helleborus x ballardiae ‘Snow Dance’. I thought this would be the perfect spot for them under a pine tree, with some morning sun. I chose them because I have been very happy with my H. x ballardiae ‘Pink Frost’. But they all shriveled and disappeared. I wasn’t sure if it was the plant quality from the grower (they didn’t look very healthy), or my care of them, or if I had chosen the spot poorly. The following year, a single tiny leaf appeared from the location of one of the former plants. It survived all year, but there was no growth and no additional leaves appeared. This past spring, that tiny leaf died as another single leaf formed. This one was a bit bigger. I held out hope. All summer I kept an eye on it, but it too stayed the same. This fall a couple more leaves appeared. To my surprise, about a month ago, I noticed that a flower bud had appeared. Now I started getting excited. But with the cold weather, the bud stayed unchanged for weeks. Yesterday, I noticed the bud beginning to loosen, and today it began opening! It should still open up more, but I’m surprised and thrilled that this tiny plant has bloomed. Hellooooo, ‘Snow Dance’!

No comments:

Post a Comment