Wednesday, September 1, 2021

'Peace'

 


I received some cuttings on 5/2/2021 from my friend Ginger, of her 'Peace' rose, which she wanted grown for another friend of ours. I've actually been admiring her rose for years now, so I was hoping that more than one would root. Two rooted and have slowly grown. They both have put out their first flowers, and to my surprise, they look very different. They are growing in the same potting mix, are right next to each other, in the same size pots. One has bloomed pale yellow with an apricot blush in the center, and the other bloomed pink with a similar apricot blush in the middle. The pink one has produced two blooms, and both of the blooms are pink. The cutting with the yellow flower has only produced one bloom so I don't know if it is consistent for this cutting, but it is the typical appearance of 'Peace'.  I find both the yellow and the pink forms to be lovely. 

There are several possibilities for this difference between the cuttings. One is that I mislabeled the cuttings. I think this is unlikely, as Ginger does not have any rose that looks like the pink form. Another possibility is that this is a spontaneous mutation (sport), like 'Winchester Cathedral' is of 'Mary Rose'. 'Peace' does have a pink sport that is available called 'Chicago Peace', that my pink cutting looks like. But I think that this is also unlikely since sporting is a rare event. Most likely, it's just that the cuttings received some minute difference in culture or development. 'Peace' has variable coloring, so I'm not too surprised. As this plant matures I'll see if it keeps the pink color.

No comments:

Post a Comment