Saturday, September 11, 2021

Gladiolus murielae

 When we moved into this house 9 years ago, there appeared in the middle of summer, a grassy plant in the corner of the courtyard. I wasn't sure what it was, but it looked like maybe a Crocosmia, or Chasmanthe, or Gladiolus. The frost killed the tops, but then it came back late the next year. I tried it in several placed in the garden but none were successful. It wasn't until a few years ago, that I decided to pot it up and keep it protected through the late fall. Last year was the first year that it bloomed and revealed itself to be Gladiolus murielae. Gladiolus murielae has been known by a number of different names. I know it best as Acidanthera bicolor, and then as Gladiolus callianthus.


 

I'd never grown this plant before so it was a delight when it bloomed. I had seen pictures of Acidanthera before, but I didn't realize that it would be this beautiful and graceful in person. It is blooming earlier this year than last year. My records say that last year it bloomed September 21.


 It's actually quite easy to grow if you keep a few things in mind. It is very late to start growing in the spring. Early summer really. It need full sun and constant moisture through its growing season. To make it extra happy and for it to multiply well, give it some fertilizer. It needs a long fall to store energy, and frost that kills the tops will set it back for the following year. This is relatively easy to solve by growing it in a pot and putting it in a sunny window until the leaves die down on their own for the winter. I put it in the garage by the window. Then let it go completely dry in the winter, ignoring it until it's time for it to start growing in the late spring, when after the weather has warmed up, I bring it out and start watering. It's exactly the opposite from growing Freesias.



No comments:

Post a Comment