Sunday, January 9, 2022

Helleborus x ericsmithii ‘Champion’

 

Many of my hellebores are dwindling as the trees above them get larger, taking more light and moisture. I'm sad to see 'Champion getting smaller and with fewer flowers.  I tried watering them more this summer, and that helped a little, but not enough. The trees (redbuds in this case) will still take much of the water. You might think that I could just increase the watering regimen on the automatic irrigation, but this would flood the other areas that the timer controls, not just the area with 'Champion' and my H. nigers ('Jacob', 'Nell Lewis' and 'Joseph Lemper'). It's a bit of a juggling act. I also tried thinning out the tree canopy, and that helped a little also, but probably not enough. H. x ericsmithii is a hybrid between H. x sternii and H. niger.

No comments:

Post a Comment