Monday, October 11, 2021

Rose cutting comparison

 It's so funny how different roses are. When taking cuttings, they can take very different amounts of time to root, and some don't root at all. 

Abraham Darby is very easy to root. I struck (started) the cutting on 9/2/2021. By 10/1/2021 there was a root coming through the drainage hole. 


In contrast, this rose was struck on 7/23/2021 and showed a root on the exact same day as Abe. When potting it up, there were far fewer roots. Perhaps this is why this rose is only sold as grafted. I don't know how it will grow own-root. It might need the roots of another rose to grow adequately. I'm going to find out.

My friend Ginger's rose completely failed the first time I tried cuttings. On this try, only two of the six cuttings I took grew roots, and it took more than 2 months for the roots to grow. 




No comments:

Post a Comment