Wednesday, September 18, 2019

bath water

Recently, I started using the bath water in the garden. What has impressed me most is how much effort it is. What a luxury it is to have modern plumbing, with pipes to effortlessly fill a tub with hot water, and a drain to empty it. I can't imagine what a luxury a hot bath was when the water needed to be heated on a stove and emptied, bucket by bucket into a tub, then when done, the tub emptied by hand. Our tub takes me about 15 bucketfuls before the water is too low to be worth scooping (I use a smaller container to scoop the water into the buckets when the water level gets low), and I pull the drain to empty the last of the water. It's over 50 gallons of water in our 70 gallon tub. I use 3 gallon buckets since they are the biggest amount that is reasonable to scoop the water in a full tub, and reasonable to carry. 5 gallon buckets are just too big to lift out of the tub and risk back injury. The process is also very messy. Water splashes everywhere. I spilled water down my front carrying water today, looking like I peed in my pants. Setting down the buckets in the garden means that mulch and twigs and leaves stick to the bottom and get carried into the house. The sides of the tub and the floor need to be wiped down afterwards. I get enough water to water maybe 10 roses. The whole process makes me appreciate water so much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment